A recent report claims that a new security flaw, nicknamed “The Great Steamroller,” has been discovered in the Steam client. If exploited, it could allow hackers to steal all of your data and funds from Valve’s games. You need to update your operating system ASAP!
The “steam freezes when installing game” is a problem that many users have been experiencing. This issue can be fixed by uninstalling the game and reinstalling it again.
So, when you attempt to play the game, Steam freezes and doesn’t reply, or does Steam freeze when you download or install the game?
Steam has long been the most popular platform for playing, discussing, and developing PC games.
However, some users have stated that Steam continues crashing when they load the client or are in the midst of a game.
If you’re having trouble with Steam freezing or not responding, you may be wondering why this is happening and what you can do to repair it.
We’ve assembled the finest remedies for you in one post, so read it all the way through.
IN Windows 11, 10, and 7, UPDATE YOUR DRIVER
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
How to Fix Steam Freezes While Playing a Game on a Windows 10 PC
To solve your issue, use the solutions listed below.
Tip: Start your computer again. before implementing the patches. Because it cleanses your PC’s RAM and shuts down apps to free up your system’s resources, it usually addresses the Steam not responding problem.
1. Run Steam as an administrator.
Start with the basic repair, which has been proposed by Reddit users. You need run Steam as an administrator to repair the issue that the game continues freezing.
Take the following steps:
- Right-click the Steam shortcut on your desktop and choose Properties.
- After that, choose Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab in the pop-up box.
- Make sure the option is selected. This software should be run as an administrator.
- Then, to save the changes, click Apply and OK.
2. Restart the Steam client.
Because to transient issues, several apps on Windows 10 PCs cease operating. The frozen or not responding problem is resolved by just restarting these apps.
To close the Steam jobs, use Windows Task Manager, and then restart them by hitting the desktop icon.
Fix 3. Clear Download & Web Browser Cache
Another solution given by Redditors for addressing Steam freezing, not responding, and operating very slowly is to delete the downloads and browser cache.
Take the following steps:
- Open the Steam client and choose Settings from the top left client menu.
- Select the Downloads tab in the Settings panel, then the CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE button at the bottom. Select it by clicking on it.
- To continue, click OK. Steam will then be resumed.
- Return to Steam Settings and delete the web browser cache.
- Select the Web Browser tab from the drop-down menu. Then choose DELETE WEB BROWSER CACHE and DELETE ALL BROWSER COOKIES from the drop-down menus. Click OK when it’s completed.
Run the game again on Steam to check if it still freezes or doesn’t reply.
4. Delete the ClientRegistry.blob file
If you remove the ClientRegistry.blob file from the Steam installation directory, the problem with Steam freezing or not responding will be resolved.
The registration data for the installed games is stored in ClientRegistry.blob. You won’t have to worry about it once you delete it since it will be restored the next time you check in.
Take the following steps:
- Using the Task Manager, close the Steam application completely.
- Then go through your Steam library. C:Program FilesSteam is the default location.
- Then remove ClientRegistry.blob from the list. Alternatively, you may rename it.
5. Make sure your graphics driver is up to current.
You’ll need updated graphics card drivers to play a PC game with the Steam client without any bugs, crashes, or freezing. You will have to cope with occasional crashing problems if the graphics card drivers are old or malfunctioning.
You may manually upgrade NVIDIA/AMD GPU drivers by visiting their official websites, however obtaining the most up-to-date right driver might be challenging.
As a result, we propose that you install Driver Easy on your computer. It’s a driver updater utility that will check and update all of the system’s old drivers automatically. All you have to do now is:
- Easy to Download and Install Drivers
- Start this software and press the Scan Now button. (It will scan your computer and tell you how many drivers need to be updated.)
- Now choose Update All or Update Individually from the drop-down menu.
- Start your computer again. now.
You may also set a restoration point so that if an updated driver creates an issue, you can go back to an earlier version.
Fix #6: Stop Unnecessary Programs from Running in the Background
To prevent Steam from stopping or not responding, make sure that no other applications are active when Steam is operating.
You may have observed that when you switch on your computer, several programs begin to operate, using system resources. As a result, attempt to close these programs before launching the Steam client.
Take the following steps:
- To launch the Run box, hit the Windows logo + R keys on your keyboard at the same time.
- Press Enter after typing or pasting taskmgr.
- The Startup tab should be selected. Disable an app by right-clicking it and selecting Disable from the menu.
7. Remove the AppCache folder from your computer.
Steam temporarily saves data in the AppCache folder; if this folder becomes damaged, Steam may freeze or fail to react when launched.
To remove the AppCache folder, follow these steps:
- Look for the Steam installation directory. C:Program Files (x86)Steam is the default location.
- Look for and remove the “appcache” folder (or you can cut and paste it in a different location so the client thinks it is deleted).
- Start your computer again.
Fix 8: To Launch Steam, Disable Antivirus and Firewall
Antivirus applications are sometimes the root of Steam’s inability to react or freeze. Either deactivate the antivirus or firewall, or just remove them for the time being.
To turn off Windows Firewall, follow these steps:
- Activate the Control Panel.
- Then choose Windows Defender Firewall from the drop-down menu.
- Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left panel.
- Then choose an alternative. Under Private network settings and Public network settings, disable Windows Defender Firewall.
- Then, to save the changes, click OK.
9. Make sure your Steam client is up to date.
If the Stam freezes when downloading or installing games, it’s possible that there’s a bug. You must ensure that you have the most recent Steam version installed.
Valve consistently releases the updates you should find and installed them on your PC. Take the following steps:
- Start by going to your Steam Library.
- From a game’s library page, select. Manage > Properties.
- Select the Updates tab and select Automatic updates from the drop-down menu.
The “how to fix steam not responding” is a problem that has been present for a while. There are many fixes to this issue, but the most common one is to uninstall and reinstall Steam.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix Steam server not responding?
A: If you are experiencing a Steam server error, the most common cause is a firewall blocking traffic. You can try turning off your firewalls temporarily to see if this fixes the issue.
Why does Steam keep crashing 2021?
A: The game crashed due to a problem with your computers memory.
Why does my game keep saying not responding?
A: Your game may be telling you its not responding because the Beat Saber servers are down, or your internet connection is too slow to stream in a high-quality gameplay experience. Unfortunately, we cannot control these two things so please try restarting your PS4 and/or signing back into our servers again with an active Internet connection.
- steam freezes on startup
- steam keeps crashing
- steam not responding 2022
- steam not responding windows 11
- steam not responding 2021